Friday, January 16, 2015

The Story of How Gill Sans & Goudy Old Style Are Equal

One of the great things about working with Brooklyn Arts Press to put out The Story of How All Animals Are Equal & Other Tales is the amount of control I was allowed over the book's design. Under the guidance of Sara T. Sauers at the University of Iowa Center for the Book, I combined Goudy Old Style and Gill Sans with underlining and strikethroughs to create an effect reflective of the book's lyrical but frenetic narratives. 





I was trying for movement, for a tension between harmony and fragmentation. I'm grateful to BAP for letting me have so much typographic control: the book's design (in conjunction with the cover image by Alicia DeBrincat) ended up looking great. Buy it now and see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment